Cafe Tortoni is a cafe (coffeehouse) on Avenida de Mayo (May Avenue) here in town. It was started in 1858 by a guy from France whose last name was Touan. The cafe has been selected by UcityGuides as one of the ten most beautiful cafes in the world.
Loong a hangout for famous – and infamous – folks from Buenos Aires and Argentina, the cafe has been visited by world famous people including Albert Einstein, Federico Garcia Lorca, Hillary Clinton and Robert Duvall.
In the basement is a stage for jazz and tango artists. Book presentations and poetry contests are also held downstairs
While keeping the décor as it was in the early years, space has been made in the back for a library as well as room to play pool, dominoes and dice.
I’ll let you know when the book signing is.
- Buenos Aires, Major attractions (popbuenosaires.wordpress.com)
- Argentina expects a papal dividend (telegraph.co.uk)
- The new pope is treated like a rock star here in Buenos Aires – by most (journeyamerica.wordpress.com)
- Costa Esmeralda House @ Buenos Aires (concretedesignblog.com)
- Buenos Aires the city of tango and a plastic jesus – Montevideo, Uruguay (travelpod.com)
- Perfume from a Locked Room (orlandogustilo.wordpress.com)
- The 213-year old “Gran Gomero” (beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com)