I’m forthunate. I get to travel alot. I mentioned this on a website where I have some friends that are also traveling photojournalists and one of them stepped up and offered to provide an article for this blog.
So in the spirit of hosting guest posts, here is “Five Invaluable Tips to Remember Before Leaving Town”
If you are getting ready to go on vacation, there is more to think about than your destination and packing your bags. You need to think about what you are leaving behind. After all, if you are going to be out of town, this will be an open invitation for crooks to try to break into your home.
Here are some tips to consider before leaving for your vacation:
1. Don’t tell anyone that you are going to be out of town. Not even your neighbors. You never know who is going to try to take advantage of you while you are away.
2. Leave some lights on inside your home. This way, neighbors and people passing by will be under the impression that someone is home. You may even want to put your lights on a timer so that the same lights are not on all the time. This is generally a dead giveaway that you are out of town.
3. Put a stop on your mail and your newspaper. Another surefire way for people to know that you are out of town is to see a pile of newspapers on your front porch and a mailbox that is overflowing. They will know that they can break-in and take their time with whatever they want to take.
4. A home security system is always an excellent idea whether you are home or away. Some people prefer a silent alarm so that a thief will be caught in the act. Others prefer a noisy alarm so that thieves will be scared away. Either way, check out http://www.besthomesecurity.com to find out more about protecting your family.
5. Make sure that your home is secure. If you leave a door is locked by accident, anyone could walk in and take whatever they like. Don’t leave any windows open. Make sure that you double check all of them. Many homeowners like to leave a window cracked so that the air conditioner will go throughout the entire home. Don’t ever do this unless you are going to be home.
If you follow these steps, burglars will not be able to take advantage of the fact that you are out of town. Everything that you own is locked up inside your home. Make sure that it is secure so that you can be safe whether you are home or not. Your life could be in danger if a burglar were to come inside your home.
Jerry Nelson is a freelance photojournalist. Currently living and working in Argentina he focuses on social justice issues. Known internationally for capturing events in a documentary style with an eye towards the aesthetic, his work has appeared in CNN, USAToday, Huffington Post and others. A nomad at heart, he is always looking for that next gig which will take him over the next hill or around the next curve. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or visit his website, JourneyAmerica.org or email him today.
- Get Safe Now: Put These Home Safety Tips Into Action (fingerfloor0.wordpress.com)
- Murder Holes & Magnets: The History of Home Security (simplisafe.com)
- Learn What You Should Know About Home Security (socialpoweredcontent.com)