I don’t know what adventure writer my life is starting to sound like, you might though.
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on pulling together a piece I’ve started calling “Paco and Pepe”. The piece is growing into something that seems to have a life of it’s own.
This morning I got an email from an investigative officer with the Argentine merchant marine whom I’ll call Mateo (Spanish for Matthew).
Mateo weaved for me a tale of drug smuggling that included strong indicators of connection with — and corruption by — the current Argentine government starting with it’s president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
Included in the story were bribes that had been paid to allow for 2D radar as opposed to 3D radar, planes flying into the northern Argentina province of Chaco and all this interconnected with the Catholic Church.
I’m meeting with Mateo next week to see what he has to say and to get his help in moving this story forward.
I’ll keep you posted.
- Paco and Pepe: The Hidden City, Argentine Mafia and Me. The Story Begins (journeyamerica.wordpress.com)
- Did you hear the one about democracy in Argentina? (journeyamerica.wordpress.com)
- Argentina Economics: Too hot for The Huffington Post to Touch (journeyamerica.wordpress.com)
- Argentines rally against government (bbc.co.uk)
- Argentina Proposal: Buy Bonds Or Go To Jail… (bloomberg.com)