Mohsen Rezai and Ali Akbar Velayati who planned the 1994 attack were among the eight candidates approved Tuesday for the June 14 election.
Despite Rezai being the subject of an international arrest warrant for directing the bombing which killed 85 and injured 300, no arrests have been made yet in the case.
Six Iranians have been on Interpol ’s most wanted list since 2007 in connection with the bombing, including the current defense minister, Gen. Ahmed Vahidi.
Meanwhile, the Argentinian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday in a statement that Argentina has received “no formal notification” about Iran’s official approval of an agreement for the two countries to jointly probe the AMIA attack.
Iran’s business commissioner to Buenos Aires, Ali Pakdaman, had said a day earlier that Ahmadinejad officially approved the agreement to create a Truth Commission investigating the bombing.
The statement issued by the office headed by Foreign Minister Hector Timerman said that only when the formal notification is received by the foreign ministries of Argentina and Iran will “the deal be put into operation.”
Iran also is believed to be behind the 1992 car bombing that destroyed the Israeli Embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 and injuring 242.
- Two AMIA bombing suspects running for Iranian president (jta.org)
- Two Argentina bombing suspects among Iran presidential hopefuls (timesofisrael.com)
- Two suspects of the Buenos Aires AMIA bombing, presidential candidate in Iran (en.mercopress.com)
- Two Iranian presidential candidates wanted for 1994 terrorist attack in Argentina (aei-ideas.org)
- Iran enforces memorandum with Argentina to look into AMIA terrorist bombing (en.mercopress.com)
- Iran Approves Agreement with Argentina on Bombing Probe (israelnationalnews.com)
- Iran-Argentina AMIA attack joint probe is official (timesofisrael.com)
- Two AMIA bombing suspects running for Iranian president (jewishjournal.com)
- Iran confirms pact with Argentina to jointly probe AMIA attack (jta.org)