I’ve created a little firestorm in my little corner of Facebook.
When the news broke about Edward Snowden, the guy that leaked some of NSA’s secrets, I posted my thoughts on my wall. All hell broke loose — from both schools of thought.
While many say that Snowden is a traitor and others say he is a hero, I don’t think he is either. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Actually, I don’t give alot of thought to Snowden. He did what he did and until the media gets its teeth into the next crisis dujour, we’re going to keep hearing about it.
But all this talk about what Snowden did — and what kind of character he is — misses the point.
The real story here is the American public. Americans are generally pretty ignorant and apathetic about what goes on in Washington. It seems that most people just want to come home from work, have a beer and veg out infront of the television or post cutesy little dogy pictures on Facebook.
Snowden is not the real villian in this. The American citizens are. What else do you expect when more citizens can name the Kardashian sisters than tell you the name of just ONE presidential candidate in the recent electio that was NOT named Obama or Romney.
While much of the world goes to bed hungry each night, Joe Q. Public is at WalMart drooling over the latest big screen television or trying to figure out his new iPhone.
I think the media and the government want to keep us fat, dumb and happy.
That way they can continue to do what they do unabated.
And America will continue to go down the crapper.’
Jerry Nelson is a freelance photojournalist from America. His latest book of photography, Suenitos tells the story of the only daycare inside the dangerous Hidden City. Now based in Argentina, he continues to turn his lens on social justice issues around the globe. Connect with Jerry on MosaicHub, Facebook or LinkedIn today. Follow this link to read more of his work on Huffington Post and Examiner. Have a story that needs to reach national media? Email him today.
- ‘Oh, for f*ck’s sake!’ John Oliver lampoons media’s coverage of Edward Snowden (rawstory.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Whistleblower Edward Snowden talks to South China Morning Post (scmp.com)
- Terror Bytes: Edward Snowden and the Architecture of Oppression (rinf.com)
- ZeroHedge: Snowden: Patriot Or Traitor? America Responds (silveristhenew.com)
- Ron Paul fears US might assassinate NSA leaker Snowden (rt.com)
- Edward Snowden: “I am not here to hide” (cbsnews.com)
- ABSOLUTE MUST READ!!!! Why Did Edward Snowden Go to Hong Kong? (jhaines6.wordpress.com)