December 1st, 2013 marks the one year anniversary of my arrival in Argentina. Buenos Aires and I will never be the same.
Here’s a list of ten (with a bonus) items that I’ve pulled together to let you know how you know you’re in Argentina.
1. When the government lies about inflation but everyone knows it’s lie
2. When the people get screwed by Peronism but they vote for different flavors of it
3. When you use 3+ rates for the national currency to US Dollars
4. When you worry about the quality of something not made in China
5. When you ask what the best phone company is and you get a blank look
6. When you look for sweets that aren’t dulce de leche and there are non
7. You find out that a Spanish speaking country can have it’s own version of the English language.
8. When they come to a curve, they all leave their lanes and come and crowd to use ONLY ONE lane .. (the shortest lane).
9. When they drive at night with their head lights off. (and it is legal too).
10. When u buy grapes for $0.99 in 2005, and now $65.
OK, here’s a bonus three. But read them only if you add a couple in the comments section!
11. When I had to pay the waiter to bring salt and pepper (available only by request) in a restaurant.
12. When they pronounce “y” and “ll” as “sh” and then call that a new language and give it a new name: “Castellano”.
13. When u miss bacon with your morning breakfast eggs.
Have a story tip or idea? I’m always on the lookout for unique people, places and things. Everyone has a story to tell. Not everyone can tell their story. When you have a unique story and you’re ready to share it with the world, please keep me in mind. You can see some of the media outlets my work has been featured in by clicking here. Ready to have your story told? Contact today!
Jerry Nelson is an American freelance photojournalist. When not traveling, he can be found on the streets of Buenos Aires as Lead Photographer for BuenosTours, the largest private tour company in South America. Connect with Jerry on MosaicHub, Facebook or LinkedIn today. Have a story that needs to reach national media? Email him today.
Ready to do business? See samples of my work in my portfolio, proudly sponsored by Marc & Dean at PressFolios.com If you’re a journalist, photographer or blogger, be sure to check out their services!